• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

Cloudways or Vultr?

maharajg

Aug 8, 2020
I'm stuck deciding between cloudways and vultr. Have to host 2 blog sites with 4k daily average page views. 1 for US and for Asia. I'm new to VPS. Currently with namecheap shared hosting.

1. Any suggestions to help me finalize.
2. Will the 10$ plans be sufficient?
3. Existing users can you pl. comment on the speed diff. i can expect from moving to one of these?

TIA

M

I've used Vultr, they let you pick location of servers and have many. Found speeds very good, pricing very good too.

You need to know what your doing though, Vultr really is a DIY online solution. Server setup can seem easy, but DNS is needed. Domains need to be on a registar. So there is always gonna be that extra need. Although most services offer DIY built in DNS.. IPs and gateways etc all very clear. So its easy once you get it figured.

They do offer some automated bits, but you'll need knowledge of basic server setup and DNS no matter.
Some scripts may help you along that way though.

Not used Cloudways,but have also used DigitalOcean.
Pricing and speeds similar to Vultr, Vultr I found to be a little faster in everything.

Digitalocean will offer you more automated setups though, more guides, generally more guiding platform.

Both platforms usually will throw $100 credit at you if you find a code, gives you more than enough to test on.

I personally struggled a bit with some setups, so ended up opting for Managed VPS with Decibite. Super cheap, getting better specs (doubled nearly) and now on a setup I wouldn't even have thought off. Easyengine for websites, with dns/emails hosted on another instance, using cpanel.

I am paying $20 a month for this, opposed to $10 a month if I had done it myself on Vultr.
May head back to them eventually now I have some more smarts about correct DNS setup etc.

If you do need to brush up on server set up/DNS, using a local VM is a great place to do it easily/free.
I host some of my own sites from home on a VM server

Last edited:
I'm trying out cloudways now, seems pretty decent, just wondering how is the speed difference from shared hosting to vps.

Decibite starting at 25$, think will wait till my site starts making some money.

Last edited:
Personally I found with any shared hosting account, if it was fast at first, it slowed down.
I've not found that with VPS. I have a client site, mainly the reason for going into VPS, who I run a private social network for, its capped to 500 members so not traffic heavy, but its heavy in what they do. Along with multiple other sites on the same setup.

Social site wise .. Uploading loads,workshops etc. Server heavy stuff, more so when 500 are doing it at the same time.. with VPS everything runs well, shared hosting would go very slow eventually or return server errors.

I have never had that due to demands with VPS. So it makes a huge difference.

You were likely running on less than half the specs of a $10 VPS package when using shared hosting I think.
I think you'll never return to shared hosting now on VPS :)

A good way to look at it is, shared hosting is a small flat in a busy big building.
VPS is a larger apartment in a smaller building.
A house would be dedicated server.

Reactions: chm
VPS is always better in terms of performance and speed as compared to shared hosting. Imagine sharing a computer with a few people as opposed to using the computer privately, solo! I know a video sharing app that has 10K downloads on it, which means users are uploading, watching videos, resource-heavy Ffmpeg is running, and all on a $20 VPS. I have seen other bloggers distributing content to 15,000+ members (read again not visitors) on a $15 VPS so this ten-dollar server will serve you atleast for a few years I'm sure.

You would have to use Vultr or any other VPS provider IF you know how to set it up properly. And also note, if you wish to install cPanel that's an additional $15 per month. That said if you know your way around Linux and comfortable with other control panels, a VPS here is more than enough to host some high traffic sites.

You can choose Cloudways IF you're not experienced and you think you can get help from the managed support team it is quite easier in this case as you'll get their own control panel and unlike cPanel, Cloudways control panel is optimized for cloud servers, all with an extra cost. Like if you buy a $5 VPS on Vultr it's almost ~ $9 or $10 on Cloudways, but for that price you'll get their features and support.

As always, Vultr offers $100 credits and similarly, Cloudways offer a trial so be sure to test it out.

Reactions: chm
I have used Vultr before and I was very happy. Currently using digital ocean, but only because free credit they have given me. I would probably still use Vultr as they are really reliable and fast.

Never heard of Cloudways, sorry cant comment on that one.

You would have to use Vultr or any other VPS provider IF you know how to set it up properly. And also note, if you wish to install cPanel that's an additional $15 per month.

you don't need to know setup or buy licenses at expensive price.
you can find many experts providing installation or hourly services.

for example, we offer installation service and offer cpanel/DirectAdmin at a very low and affordable price.

I'm using Vultr as a Staging Server and pay roughly 11.00 -20.00/Month. It's pretty solid and setup is easy, fast and stable.

Thanks Guys, as its my first attempt moving from a shared hosting will try cloudways.

As i am looking shift to a new hosting for my websites, found this thread interested. Currently in Siteground and moving from there due to high renewal cost .

In another thread, i had asked about alternative shared hosting suggestions with good performance and less cost.

Here, wanted to know whether a person with not much tech knowledge , could setup and maintain vps hosting using cloudways with either digitaloceans or Vultr ?

I've setup trial account setup and wordpress application setup with DO. Pretty straight forward. I have to check what else has to be setup, (backup, DNS, etc). IF anyone having exp. can suggest things to do when we move to VPS would be helpful.

Here, wanted to know whether a person with not much tech knowledge , could setup and maintain vps hosting using cloudways with either digitaloceans or Vultr ?
Yes setting up and maintaining a server with Cloudways is very easy indeed :) And if you do run into an issue their live chat support people are really good.

I have their $44/month server on Vultr with approx 60 sites on it and I love it.

I used to use AWS Lightsail but that was a lot more complicated to setup and maintain. Moving to Cloudways was best decision I made.

Reactions: sabs_rocks
for me Google Cloud is good, but the price is quite expensive, easy to manage so it is worth to have one.

Most of those are highly overhyped. Until you have pretty peak traffic or unpredicted traffic you should go for cloud.
I had tried and tested both digital ocean and cloudways with my shared hosting in terms of speed and FCP. there is not much difference that a human eye can notice. Though it have some differences in a millisecond. But if you have high traffic sudden spike, definitely Such services are good

Note:: Cloudways don't offer email solutions. so going with that will cost you pay for your emails. which will start at 2$ per mailbox for normal solutions. Though you can get zoho for 5 box free but their free plan sucks as it don't allow imap or SMTP to use your own clients.

OVH is the cheapest out there. Also you can check contabo VPS or Dedicated server which is the most cheapest of all in VPS and Dedicated. They are reliable too.

OVH? I'm laughing all the way, OVH is the most ***** hosting company, their support is noob and useless, for simple questions, it takes couple hours to reply even weeks!!! STAY AWAY.

Contabo? they have good services and their support fast enough and good attitude.

OVH? I'm laughing all the way, OVH is the most ***** hosting company, their support is noob and useless, for simple questions, it takes couple hours to reply even weeks!!! STAY AWAY.

Contabo? they have good services and their support fast enough and good attitude.
Either you have to go for cheap or the best. Both will not come together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock