• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

Need help with site optimization

sysads

Sep 10, 2019
recipegym.com
Hi all, I have in the past 1 week tried up to 6 different web hosting providers with the aim to figure out why my Google PageSpeed Insight test always low.

What I discovered from all hosting including VPS is when I test the same site data on these platforms using the google pagespeed test tool, it maxs out the cpu, memory and in some cases iops.

But when I try it with gmetrix speed test and pingdom, none of the resources are affected or maxes out.

So can't figure out why google speed test tool is causing spikes on the hardware.

What's the URL?

And besides, I'd never recommend anyone to use Google speed test tool. Just gives you unnecessary headaches.

Well, for having only a few "standard" WP plugins and WP Rocket installed, the Waterfall/Lighthouse charts show a lots of render blocking blocking going on. You should take PageSpeed and Gmetrix results as guide to decluttering your css/js resources.

Another thing you should look at is securing your site, because user enumeration and directory indexing seems to be allowed..

Reactions: sysads
Well, for having only a few "standard" WP plugins and WP Rocket installed, the Waterfall/Lighthouse charts show a lots of render blocking blocking going on. You should take PageSpeed and Gmetrix results as guide to decluttering your css/js resources.

Another thing you should look at is securing your site, because user enumeration and directory indexing seems to be allowed..
Thanks I have applied some security recommendation to address the 2 issues raised. Just at the moment, trying to figure out what else I can do to improve the result.

Simple scan shows 0 issues and updated plugins, well done..

It's a lot of work to improve the performance, again you must take a closer look at the Waterfall chart in your GTmetrix scan, or even at your Chrome's Lighthouse report (F12).

Find out which resources generate "Waiting" and/or "Blocking" timings (s. capture-img). After that you need to "finetune" the loading of these resources (js/css) in the meaning of "do i really need" the contact-form js/css loading on my landing page when i have no contact form on my homepage?!

I personally prefer following setups for Wordpress Websites/shops:
VPS hosting, setup nginx-http server with fastcgi-cache/redis-cache (incl. WP Plugins for nginx/redis-cache)

For the Wordpress itself, after endless hours of testing and frustration, i gave up on these all-in-one solutions like WP-Rocket, W3Totalcache, etc...they are good for what they can do but it's not good enough..
I now prefer to "finetune" my installation and the loading of the js/css based on following :

1. If it's required by the client to use pagebuilders like elementor then i use a blank or fastest/light theme like "GeneratePress, Astra, etc " and then put the site and design together based on the elementor templates. Loading-time, size and HTTP-request of the theme are the important factors..

2. I try to eliminate as much as possible the blocking js/css with "Async JavaScript ".. as always without breaking the design of the website/theme

3. I remove not needed js/css resources from the landing page with "Asset CleanUp: Page Speed Booster ". As example given above you only need contact-form js/css in your contact page.

4. As last i enable "Autoptimize" for minification and even more finetuning.

The rest is being taken care of fast-cgi/redis caching.

I hope this helps and as said, this is my personally prefered way of setting up the e-shops and might not be the best..

Good luck!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 21
The last reply from @Custom B is a goldmine 🙏 :love:

That being said, I highly recommend a plugin such as this: wordpress.org/plugins/async-javascript/ It is free, and works very well.

Simple scan shows 0 issues and updated plugins, well done..

It's a lot of work to improve the performance, again you must take a closer look at the Waterfall chart in your GTmetrix scan, or even at your Chrome's Lighthouse report (F12).

Find out which resources generate "Waiting" and/or "Blocking" timings (s. capture-img). After that you need to "finetune" the loading of these resources (js/css) in the meaning of "do i really need" the contact-form js/css loading on my landing page when i have no contact form on my homepage?!

I personally prefer following setups for Wordpress Websites/shops:
VPS hosting, setup nginx-http server with fastcgi-cache/redis-cache (incl. WP Plugins for nginx/redis-cache)

For the Wordpress itself, after endless hours of testing and frustration, i gave up on these all-in-one solutions like WP-Rocket, W3Totalcache, etc...they are good for what they can do but it's not good enough..
I now prefer to "finetune" my installation and the loading of the js/css based on following :

1. If it's required by the client to use pagebuilders like elementor then i use a blank or fastest/light theme like "GeneratePress, Astra, etc " and then put the site and design together based on the elementor templates. Loading-time, size and HTTP-request of the theme are the important factors..

2. I try to eliminate as much as possible the blocking js/css with "Async JavaScript ".. as always without breaking the design of the website/theme

3. I remove not needed js/css resources from the landing page with "Asset CleanUp: Page Speed Booster ". As example given above you only need contact-form js/css in your contact page.

4. As last i enable "Autoptimize" for minification and even more finetuning.

The rest is being taken care of fast-cgi/redis caching.

I hope this helps and as said, this is my personally prefered way of setting up the e-shops and might not be the best..

Good luck!
This is great. Honestly i have tried some of the plugins mentioned including "Async JavaScript " which I disabled this morning for now while I am running more test. Might need to enable that then.

The main challenge I have with VPS is I have no idea on how to optimize it. I bought Contabo VPS and had no clue on how to optimize it hence I cancelled the contract.

I have also tried Astra but that keeps breaking with the cache plugin. I have also tried GeneratePress in past but didn't get the result needed. Might try that again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock