• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

New to VPS, is cPanel my best option?

Thanks for your reply, I am using postfix, and really having a headache, i am searching google and really getting confused, I have done spf, DKIM, DMARC and Reverse dns pointer, still goes straight to spam. If there is any article or video which completely explains how to improve the mail delivery it would be wonderful.

Thanks for your help, I really Appriciate it

I have done all that too (spf, DKIM, DMARC and Reverse dns pointer) for mine, but it still goes to spam especially with Gmail. When I change to an Email provider (another IP), the exact same test email from my WordPress site delivers to inbox. I have read about new IPs having to build trust over time. Maybe that is the issue we are facing. By the way, my server IP is clean (checked with mxtoolbox) and when I check the raw email in GMail, I see that it passed SPF, DKIM, and DMARC verification but still was sent to spam! Imagine the frustration and confusion I've faced.

Reactions: cralis
Hi obbzzz,

I am trying not to use the domain registrars email system and trying to run it on my own vps, Domain registrar would be my last resort, but they have a lot of restriction and they might use a shared IP which could cause some issues in the future, which i am trying to avoid.

Thanks for your suggestion. I really appreciate all your feedback

Have you thought about trying to have the email server on its own instance?
Unsure if thats ideal..

I ended up using my reigistar email mainly as I struggled so much.. haha.
But I did get to where you are, with the emails working but being spammed.

Try checking this site, it helped me fix bits up. BE WARNED! you only get 3 free checks a day :)

This is how I fixed SPF, but confused me on DKIM.
Check on Cyberpanel in TXT zones for how they have autogenerated it.

Also maybe check on SSH that OpenDKIM is working as it should, ensure all folder permissions etc are correct.
Maybe remove any directory protection during these bits

I have done all that too (spf, DKIM, DMARC and Reverse dns pointer) for mine, but it still goes to spam especially with Gmail. When I change to an Email provider (another IP), the exact same test email from my WordPress site delivers to inbox. I have read about new IPs having to build trust over time. Maybe that is the issue we are facing. By the way, my server IP is clean (checked with mxtoolbox) and when I check the raw email in GMail, I see that it passed SPF, DKIM, and DMARC verification but still was sent to spam! Imagine the frustration and confusion I've faced.

I can Understand your frustration, I am facing the same issue, without a clue on what to do, I wish there is a simple solution.

Last edited:
Have you thought about trying to have the email server on its own instance?
Unsure if thats ideal..

I ended up using my reigistar email mainly as I struggled so much.. haha.
But I did get to where you are, with the emails working but being spammed.

Try checking this site, it helped me fix bits up. BE WARNED! you only get 3 free checks a day :)

This is how I fixed SPF, but confused me on DKIM.
Check on Cyberpanel in TXT zones for how they have autogenerated it.

Also maybe check on SSH that OpenDKIM is working as it should, ensure all folder permissions etc are correct.
Maybe remove any directory protection during these bits

Hi Obbzzz,

Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried mail tester, and my email gets a 10/10 but still end up in spam :( .
Also how do I know which permission I should have for a specific directory, I guess I have no clue of what I am doing here?

Hi Obbzzz,

Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried mail tester, and my email gets a 10/10 but still end up in spam :( .
Also how do I know which permission I should have for a specific directory, I guess I have no clue of what I am doing here?

It does count the content of your emails. If you just send an email with subject "test" and message "test" it will go to spam, no matter on your score. Try to compose an email like you want to transmit something, have a text like "thank you for your interest in our product ... ".

I am using self hosted email with postfix for all my domains and servers and until now it was reported back to me less than 3% of mails getting into spam. And I also use newsletters twice a week for couple domains (with mailster for WP pointed to my smtp server) and 50% of emails are going into promotion tab (gmail recipients).

Reactions: amit338
Can anyone please tell me how to install cPanel I’ve downloaded the nulled version on here but not sure on the sudo get command from local machine . I can get it from url like Norma but that’s the paid license version thanks in advance every one

Cyberpanel is legit in terms of the alternatives to cPanel+WHM. I have used cPanel+WHM for well over a decade, at least about 15 years at this point. So I am VERY familiar with how it works and because of that I am very familiar and comfortable with using centOS as well.

I've struggled to get email working, I am deleting the instance and starting again now I'm more use to the different options.

I am using email with my domain registar instead, means I just need to remember adding SPF records for my servers IP to my domains registar DNS so that my sites still able to send emails (via wordpress etc)?

Update, using my domain registar for email has solved my issues, running all perfectly now.

The reason you may have struggled to getting it working is because by default Vultr blocks port 25 which is the standard SMTP outbound port, I think they block 465 and 587 by default as well (which is what cPanel/WHM and most GUI panels use).

Thanks for your reply, I am using postfix, and really having a headache, i am searching google and really getting confused, I have done spf, DKIM, DMARC and Reverse dns pointer, still goes straight to spam. If there is any article or video which completely explains how to improve the mail delivery it would be wonderful.

Thanks for your help, I really Appriciate it

It’s most likely due to the IP block that your server is hosted on being on one or more blacklist/spam blacklist, you should use a site like mxtoolbox.com which can run your IP through the various popular blacklists and let you know. To check and make sure your DNS records are properly configured you can use a service like intodns.com . While something like the free cloudlfare service is useful for managing DNS (and is useful if you know what you are doing) It won’t help for sh** like mail. I would second the suggestions to use a secondary provider for your e-mail needs. It doesn’t necessarily need to be the registrar for your domain name, as there are plenty of good e-mail providers out there, it depends really on the number of mailboxes that you wish to setup and the kind of features you’re looking to use/mailbox space and most importantly the number of different domains you are trying to accept/send mail from. I use my upgraded protonmail account tied to my domain and it’s been fantastic for my needs but it’s too expensive for more than one domain, and I got a good deal during black Friday for the upgrade. Zoho Mail is good in my experience as well and is very proactive in ensuring mail delivery and IP addresses remain in good standing.

What packages would you suggest to install to help it run smooth. Like perl or anything else thanks

Honestly, and I hate to be a buzzkill to you or anyone else in this thread but as someone who has significant experience with server administration for many years I would not recommend running your own VPS for anything that remotely resembles public-facing websites that will get any kind of significant traffic. The only reason you should be using a VPS for this is for little throwaway projects and for fun stuff, you are so much better off from a security perspective (as well as saving yourself a ton of time and headache) simply going with an established host and signing up for something like a reseller account if you want access to the configurability you get with WHM or Cyberpanel (assuming you do) or if you are willing to pay for it, some places have semi-managed hosting available at an affordable price.

The reason I say this is due to security. If you have a website that isn’t even really open to the public and is just merely hosted on your VPS you will still be getting many thousands (literally tens of thousands) of attempted brute force logins, attempted port scans, XSS injection attempts, etc. run on anything you have on your server.

If you are insistent upon setting up your own server, please do some significant research before doing so and still, be super careful if you are going to be hosting ANYTHING that is of value/something you are going to be upset if it gets hacked or you lose it. I hope you have experience with using linux and how the linux filesystem/permissions works, and I mean no offense in saying so but your question about perl makes me wonder if you have the necessary experience that’s required for setting something like this up and more importantly keeping it running.

That said, as far as stuff you’ll want to set up...depends on if you are using cyberpanel or cPanel/WHM. Unfortunately, cPanel/WHM’s pricing model was completely changed about a year or so ago when they made it much more expensive for people in our positions who are looking to run their own servers and using it to do so as they now charge on a per-user (cPanel) account basis. This wouldn’t be so much of an issue if the method to work around it, which involves setting up any additional domains as “add-on domains” instead of their own separate cPanel accounts gets very complicated and can cause significant headaches due to how cPanel manages virtual hosts automation and something called EasyApache which is built into cPanel to manage the webserver.

I am not nearly as familiar with Cyberpanel as I am with cPanel, mostly because I am much more comfortable with using Apache than I am with LiteSpeed. The open source version of Cyberpanel comes with OpenLitespeed and I am not sure if they have setup the ability for you to use things like Apache mods with Litespeed or not or whether things like memcached will work with Cyberpanel. If you do go with Cyberpanel, I would recommend installing it over centOS 7, limiting the versions of PHP preferably to a single release assuming whatever software/scripts you are using will allow you to do so (7.3 would be best). Also you will want to alter the different SSL/TLS options

Honestly, and I hate to be a buzzkill to you or anyone else in this thread but as someone who has significant experience with server administration for many years I would not recommend running your own VPS for anything that remotely resembles public-facing websites that will get any kind of significant traffic. The only reason you should be using a VPS for this is for little throwaway projects and for fun stuff, you are so much better off from a security perspective (as well as saving yourself a ton of time and headache) simply going with an established host and signing up for something like a reseller account if you want access to the configurability you get with WHM or Cyberpanel (assuming you do) or if you are willing to pay for it, some places have semi-managed hosting available at an affordable price.

The reason I say this is due to security. If you have a website that isn’t even really open to the public and is just merely hosted on your VPS you will still be getting many thousands (literally tens of thousands) of attempted brute force logins, attempted port scans, XSS injection attempts, etc. run on anything you have on your server.

If you are insistent upon setting up your own server, please do some significant research before doing so and still, be super careful if you are going to be hosting ANYTHING that is of value/something you are going to be upset if it gets hacked or you lose it. I hope you have experience with using linux and how the linux filesystem/permissions works, and I mean no offense in saying so but your question about perl makes me wonder if you have the necessary experience that’s required for setting something like this up and more importantly keeping it running.

That said, as far as stuff you’ll want to set up...depends on if you are using cyberpanel or cPanel/WHM. Unfortunately, cPanel/WHM’s pricing model was completely changed about a year or so ago when they made it much more expensive for people in our positions who are looking to run their own servers and using it to do so as they now charge on a per-user (cPanel) account basis. This wouldn’t be so much of an issue if the method to work around it, which involves setting up any additional domains as “add-on domains” instead of their own separate cPanel accounts gets very complicated and can cause significant headaches due to how cPanel manages virtual hosts automation and something called EasyApache which is built into cPanel to manage the webserver.

I am not nearly as familiar with Cyberpanel as I am with cPanel, mostly because I am much more comfortable with using Apache than I am with LiteSpeed. The open source version of Cyberpanel comes with OpenLitespeed and I am not sure if they have setup the ability for you to use things like Apache mods with Litespeed or not or whether things like memcached will work with Cyberpanel. If you do go with Cyberpanel, I would recommend installing it over centOS 7, limiting the versions of PHP preferably to a single release assuming whatever software/scripts you are using will allow you to do so (7.3 would be best). Also you will want to alter the different SSL/TLS options

WOW thanks give me an hour to read it all and I will reply again 😂

Reactions: gimple
I agree with Netluxe on how complicated it can be.
I was coming in from a background in Linux, web development and hardware building so even though I struggled in some areas, I was able to pick bits up. Having knowledge of SSH is very important

Also true on security, however most VPS services actually offer server side protection automated now. However you should be aware of site side security. Some services will automate the setup in those areas for specific configs however.

Changing to VPS and being a noob was a very steep learning curve but everything is running good now.

I would pick wisely, if you are struggling, on who you get your services from, Vultr is a no for a noob.

DigitalOcean however has a wealth of tutorials if you can manage to learn via that method and know your way around DNS etc a little already.

Looking for a service provider who may offer your choice of install as a somewhat automated process maybe a help too. Helps cut out processes but usually also offers the space to learn whats happening in that automated process.

I'm glad I made the change, being able to install more modules server way has already made a gigantic change to my sites, all now loading under 2 seconds and scoring perfectly on gtmetrix etc.

But it took me 4 days with little sleep to get there.. haha

Im using Ubuntu with OpenLiteSpeed, CyberPanel, Memcache (redis too for some).
For my sites purposes this gave me the best speeds. However Cyberpanel is a bit of a pain in some areas..so I'm unsure if id reccommend that.

OpenLiteSpeed does offer modules etc, but you'll need Cyberpanel for ease of installing (cPanel style).
Its very rare I use openlitespeed admin unless its for virtual server management and adding in custom headers etc.

DigitalOcean offer a automated setup of Ubuntu with Openlitespeed and Cyberpanel and all required modules preinstalled. Some PHP modules require activation (imagick etc)

DigitalOcean, Vultr and a few others will all give you $100 credit to get started, in most cases that will cover you for 2 months and beyond.. although I think it expires after 2 months. But you have enough time to get an idea if its for you.

Last edited:
Cyberpanel is legit in terms of the alternatives to cPanel+WHM. I have used cPanel+WHM for well over a decade, at least about 15 years at this point. So I am VERY familiar with how it works and because of that I am very familiar and comfortable with using centOS as well.

The reason you may have struggled to getting it working is because by default Vultr blocks port 25 which is the standard SMTP outbound port, I think they block 465 and 587 by default as well (which is what cPanel/WHM and most GUI panels use).

It’s most likely due to the IP block that your server is hosted on being on one or more blacklist/spam blacklist, you should use a site like mxtoolbox.com which can run your IP through the various popular blacklists and let you know. To check and make sure your DNS records are properly configured you can use a service like intodns.com . While something like the free cloudlfare service is useful for managing DNS (and is useful if you know what you are doing) It won’t help for sh** like mail. I would second the suggestions to use a secondary provider for your e-mail needs. It doesn’t necessarily need to be the registrar for your domain name, as there are plenty of good e-mail providers out there, it depends really on the number of mailboxes that you wish to setup and the kind of features you’re looking to use/mailbox space and most importantly the number of different domains you are trying to accept/send mail from. I use my upgraded protonmail account tied to my domain and it’s been fantastic for my needs but it’s too expensive for more than one domain, and I got a good deal during black Friday for the upgrade. Zoho Mail is good in my experience as well and is very proactive in ensuring mail delivery and IP addresses remain in good standing.

Thanks for your suggestion netluxe. I have tried the mr toolbox and some other tools and the ip I am using seems to be clean. will definietely look into intodns.com and proton mail.

Reactions: gimple

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaac56
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock